Featured »

Nyabihu: Residents commend Ndi Umunyarwanda programme

November 21, 2014 – 10:32 am | No Comment

Anastase Kayisire, a resident of Nyabihu district called upon Rwandese to look beyond ethnicity and strive for unity and reconciliation than what can divide them.
Kayisire, a genocide survivor who lost all his family members said …

Read the full story »
Bills and Laws
Courts & Agencies
Forum
Services
Recent
Home » English, Featured

Mbarushimana hits at prosecution, goes silent

Submitted by on August 16, 2014 – 7:34 pmNo Comment

Mbarushimana hits at prosecution, goes silent

Genocide suspect Emmanuel Mbarushimana went silent and accused the prosecution for ‘unfair’ treatment during his trial held at Nyarugunga Primary Court, in Nyarugenge district, on august 13, 2014.

While in the dock, Mbarushimana looked surprised while he stared at the prosecution, whom he also accused for sitting during the trial while he is left standing for long.

“Even during the previous hearings, I was standing throughout while the prosecutor was allowed to sit. I consider both myself and prosecution as invited guests to this court so we should be accorded equal treatment,” Mbarushimana said.

The suspect also remained silent about his charges in which he is accused of masterminding the killing of thousands of Tutsi who had sought refuge at Kabuye Hill in the former communes of Muganza and Ndora, in the current Gisagara District.

In the court hearing, which spent less than 30 minutes, prosecution asked court to deny the suspect bail and remand him on grounds that there was no guarantee he would not flee the country.

Court Judge Alexis Ndahigwa upheld the prosecution request and remanded the suspect for a month to allow prosecution to complete investigations into the charges against him.

Mbarushimana’s case has been postponed twice by the same court on grounds that he could not choose any of the lawyers availed to him by prosecution, saying they did not have the requisite capacity to represent him.

The suspect was granted asylum under the false name of Emmanuel Kunda, and had been living in Denmark since 2001. He was deported to Rwanda from Denmark in July, 2014.

Mbarushimana is the second Genocide suspect to be sent to Rwanda from Scandinavian countries after Charles Bandora, who was transferred from Norway in May 2013.

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers